soSIMPLE Calendar FAQ
What are the system requirements for soSIMPLE Calendar?
- FileMaker Server 9 or above, including FileMaker Server 12
- FileMaker Pro 9 or above, including FileMaker Pro 12
- FileMaker Go 1.1 or above (optional)
We recommend FileMaker Pro 10 or above for designing & deploying calendars, mostly because we use some script triggers in the Calendar Builder to save some steps. Your end-users can use FileMaker Pr0, Go, or a web or mobile browser.
Why do you require FileMaker Server?
When we created soSIMPLE Calendar, we set out to create the most powerful and responsive calendar possible. By hosting on FileMaker Server, we gain a few significant advantages:
- Background Processing
We can do a lot of our work in the background. By using a web viewer connected to the server, we can use AJAX technology to edit and save events. This speeds up the drawing of your calendar by just speaking with the server regarding specific calendar events, and by allowing you to continue your work in FileMaker without waiting for the calendar to redraw.
- Modern Behavior
- Write-once/Deploy anywhere
We can leverage your calendar by allowing the same exact calendar to be used on the web, on your iPad, and on any other device that supports html.
Do you provide a demo or trial version?
You can try soSIMPLE Calendar live without even downloading anything. Just go to our “Try It Now” page, and choose “Try in your Browser” or “Try in FileMaker”.
Or, to try it on your own server, download soSIMPLE Calendar from the “Try it Now” page. This is the full product with no expiration, time limits, or other limitations. The only difference is that all calendars have a watermark that shows the product is yet to be registered. When you decide to purchase, you just register the software, and continue using it.
Do I need plug-ins to use your calendar?
Yes & No.
soSIMPLE provides you with two plug-ins – soSIMPLE Plugin and MBS Plugin.
- soSIMPLE Plugin is used only within Calendar Builder for things like Registration and copying your custom scripts and layout objects to the clipboard. Your end-users don’t need this plugin.
- MBS Plugin is used on FileMaker Pro-based calendars (created with “Client-Side Script” selected). This plugin enables changing events in the calendar (which is a web viewer) to trigger a script in FileMaker.
- No plugins are required for “Server-Side Async” calendars – those typically deployed on the web, or in FileMaker Go.
Another note about plugins: we install both plugins into the AutoUpdate folder on your server. By setting your server to push these updates (see documentation), they will automatically be loaded and registered when you open Calendar Builder. For this reason, Client Side solutions should call the startup script in Calendar Builder. Our sample script does this for you.
FileMaker 12 update:
- FileMaker 12 doesn’t strictly require the MBS plugin for your FileMaker Pro & Go clients anymore. Starting with FileMaker 12, you can click on an event in the calendar and have it run a script in FileMaker, without the use of a plug-in. This also means that you can now run the same script in FileMaker Go, that you’ve been running in FileMaker Pro.
- We still offer the plug-in because it does make it easier to refresh single events on the calendar without having to redraw the entire web viewer.
- Plug-ins are now installed right from Calendar Builder – they’re no longer downloaded from the server using Auto Update, as previous versions were. So this install step is no longer required.
Where’s all my calendar data?
soSIMPLE Calendar is a developer tool enabling you to put a very powerful, fast, and flexible calendar into your solution or your clients’ solutions. You bring the data, we make it easy to put a beautiful GUI into it. We do provide a sample data file to get you started. If you’d like us to roll in a more robust sample file, or a complete scheduling solution, please let us know. This is something we have been working on for individual clients, and are considering including in the product.
Do you do custom development
What if I need help?
We’re just an email away. Please contact us if you need any help installing or putting together your first calendar.