This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  admin 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

My understanding of “Block” is that it stops other calendar users assigning an event to the same time as an existing event.

Unfortunately when an event is marked “Block” it disappears from the calendar view. I expect this using “Background” but not “Block”

Can you advise the correct use of “Block” please as have had a look at the documentation and the feature is missing from the website. It’s possible I’ve got a cached copy but have refreshed and no different.

What My client needs ideally is that when “Block” is used it stops another event using the same time that has the same resource. Is that possible?

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by  admin.

admin
    Keymaster
    This article explains the features of a blocked event:
    There’s not much in the way of documentation so here are the details:
    • Assign a “Display Type” field for your Data Source
    • In the Display Type field of in your calendar event record, you can have the text, “Block” or “Background”.
    • Both these types of events look the same on the calendar
      • translucent in the background of the calendar
      • color is assigned from color field
      • text is displayed from the text field (for many uses you may not want text, so just leave that field blank)
      • tooltips also display based on the tooltip field, but as standard tooltips, not the rich text ones that normal events have.
    • Block will also stop you from dragging or dropping on that area of the calendar.
    • If you’ve also assigned a resource to your event, the “block” or “background” event will only show on the resource views (Resource, Planner and Timelines)
    • If you haven’t assigned a resource to your event, all the views (including the resource views) will show the event in the background.

Keep in mind, since there’s no way to double-click a background event, you’ll have to edit it manually by searching for it in your events table (or you could create another calendar that ignores the background flag, and use that for editing).

You can also have an entire data source represent background or blocking events. For this you use the “defaults” section of the data source.

Also keep in mind, a blocked event is a useful tool to stop casual users from cross-scheduling events. But it is by no means fail-proof. There is nothing stopping your user from creating an event by other means and setting the time in conflict with something on the calendar. The blocked event just stops them from dragging or dropping on the calendar views.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.