This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  admin 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

stefanoslmc
    Participant

Hello

I am using an advance find for admin users an web direct simple view for our students (we are a music school)

Resources are rooms, each student have his own user account

When students log in the field “Event display type” (calc type) changes into “block” so all the events that are in the rooms are blocked.

In this way they can book the room for rehearsal when rooms are available

The problem is that I would like to hide the Event text field in the Cal view, as students should be able to see that the room is busy, but for privacy reasons they should not be able to read which students and teachers will be in the classroom (the event text)

They should be able to read the content only of the events that they have created

Is it possible?

Thanks

Stefano from Rome, Italy

admin
    Keymaster

If the Event Display field is a calculation resolving to empty (“”) the background/blocked events will be blank.

I wasn’t clear if you’ve done your own integration, or if you’re using our starter file.

If you’re doing your own integration, our Advanced Find feature might help you.

I usually try to steer new users away from Advanced Find because debugging it is a challenge.

But since you’re already using Advanced Find, you can try using it for calculating the text field.

1. Include in the ‘&find_parameter’ the name or id of the current user.
    2. In the Advanced Find script, create a global variable ($$calUser for example) of the user passed via the parameter
    3. Use the global variable in the calculation of the Event Display field. So events whose ID field matches $$calUser show text, the others are blank. “”

Another way to do this, if you have trouble with the Advanced Find, is to create two separate data sources and attach them both to the calendar. The first data source will be filtered by the user, using our URL filtering method; the second data source will show all events as background/block events.

Let us know how it goes.

stefanoslmc
    Participant

thanks,

I am almost done with the things you suggested me, but I am having a problem using the solution with different category of users

I am using your default calendar and I just made a few changes, but now I am not sure anymore to have understood how it works

I have the File maker server working on the Lan and on the internet

I have three different users

staff inside the building, the server can be found at 192.168.1.135 – full access client side script

staff into other buildings, the same server can be found at 194.79.193.84 – full access client side script

students from home, using web direct at the ip 194.79.193.84 – only something allowed – servers die async

Should I create three different layout on the so simple calendar with different IP?

thanks

stefano

admin
    Keymaster

Typically your router allows you to use the external address for all users (194.79.193.84). So try putting that into your soSIMPLE Calendar Settings, and all of your calendars can use that.

But some routers don’t do that. More info here: Need help configuring soSIMPLE on two servers

If you need to use two different IP addresses, you don’t need two different layouts. You can just assign the IP address based on get(hostipaddress). That function will always give you the IP address that FileMaker is connecting to, whether it’s internal or external.

In our starter solution, this value can be changed in the “Setup Calendar” script right after it gets $calendar_path from the Settings file.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.