This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dominick 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Rashad Bishara
    Participant

we are running Filemaker server 13.10 (on Mac Mini) with and FMP 14.4 Mac on all clients OS X 10.11.1

Step 1 : When I load the calendar within the local network everything works fine.

Step 2: When I try to access the calendar from outside the local network (using external IP address) I get the following error message. a “searching for url dialogue comes up”, I stop it and continue the script and the following comes up: “You must set the URL to your PHP page etc….web publishing is not enabled at http://127.0.0.1/sosimple/sosimple_cal.php“.

Step 3: I set it to the default and know everything works fine on client computer accessing server from the external IP address. However, as soon as I do this, anyone working on the local network gets the same searching for URL button and the following comes up:

“You must set the URL to your PHP page etc….web publishing is not enabled at http://xx.x.xx/sosimple/sosimple_cal.php“.

Step 4: So I set it to the default and it works on the local network. However the client accessing server from the external IP address shows “searching for URL” and Step 2 URL to PHP message comes up again. Basically flipping back and forth depending on where I set the so simple_cal.php location.

Not quite sure what is happening here, but its making the system unusable for me to program (externally) while its working for them on the intranet

admin
    Keymaster

I know we solved this together off-line, but the bottom line is that most routers should allow you to use the external IP address that you’ve set up on the router, from inside or outside the network. This router feature is called “NAT Loopback” and it has come to my attention that some routers don’t have this feature.

If your router has this feature, you might need to just turn it on. For more robust routers or firewalls, you might need to configure the loopback yourself.

In the meantime, the workaround is to change the IP address of the web viewer in your solution to point change which IP address it uses. If your set up on a single server, you can do this by making the web viewer a calculation like this:
    "http://" & get(HostIPAddress) & "/sosimple/sosimple_cal.php?calendar=xxx.x..x...x.xxxxx.x.x"

Dominick

Hi. I’m having this same issue with my setup (FMS 14 on a MacBook Pro running El Capitan and 2 FM PRO clients running El Capitan) Everything works perfectly inside the network. Outside of the network I’m unable to find the PHP page.
    My modem/router (Zyxel C1100) has a NAT function (enable or disable) and is currently enabled but does not have a NAT Loopback option.
    Could you please provide more details about how to deal with this issue.

Thank you..

admin
    Keymaster

Hi Dominick –

It’s not clear from your post whether you’ve configured your router for outside access. In order to access anything from outside your network, you have to instruct your router to redirect traffic to the FileMaker Server.

On the Zyxel C1100 this called Port Forwarding, and is listed on the Advanced tab. I found this guide which may be helpful.
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ZyXEL/C1100Z/defaultguide.htm

Once you’ve completed the port forwarding and depending on your router, you may have two separate IP addresses for the calendar – one from inside the network, and one for use outside the network. Using the FileMaker function get (hostipaddress), as shown in this thread, will always show you the IP address you’re using to connect to FileMaker Server, whether you’re inside the network or outside the network.

admin
    Keymaster

Dominick –

I also wanted to add that the port numbers required for forwarding are port 80 & 443 (web ports), and port 5003 (FileMaker).

Dominick

Thank you for you reply.
    Yes, after I properly set up the port forwarding on the router correctly, everything works perfectly.
    Thank you for the links to the info. It was all very helpful.
    best,
    Dominick

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.